Through the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985 (COBRA), you and your eligible dependents can continue your enrollment in medical, dental, and vision coverage for a specified period of time.
If you experience a qualifying life event, the COBRA enrollment deadline is 60 days after the event. You must contact your campus Human Resources office to let them know about your event.
If your employment with the University ends, the University’s COBRA administrator, UMR, will contact you about your right to continue your coverage under COBRA. You have 60 days to elect COBRA coverage from the later of:
- The date of your qualifying life event
- The date you receive notice from UMR
Once you elect COBRA, you have 45 days to make your first premium payment, retroactive to the date your plan ended. The insurance company will reinstate your medical, dental and vision coverage retroactive to the date coverage ended. You will experience no break in coverage—any denied claims can be reprocessed for payment.
- Contact your campus Human Resources office if you have a qualifying life event.
- Respond to UMR and enroll in COBRA within 60 days.
- Make the first COBRA payment within 45 days from your COBRA election date.
- Re-submit any claims that were denied during the period when your coverage was canceled.